About District

The River Wardha lends its name to the district that developed from a small village called Palakwadi. This very village is the district headquarters today. Historical evidence tells us that the Maurya, Shunga, Satvahan, Wakaram, Chalukya, Rashtrakut, Yadava and Gond dynasties ruled Wardha and its vicinity.

The Nizam and Nagpurkar (Raghuji) Bhosale also ruled over this territory for a short time. Mahatma Gandhi’s Ashram at Sevagram, Acharya Vinoba Bhave’s Paramdham Ashram at Pavnar and the battle(s) of Ashti during the freedom struggle has shaped this district. The earliest period of habitation in Wardha district goes back to about 1000 B.C. on the basis of ceramic evidence found when archaeological excavations were conducted at Paunar at a distance of 8 km from Wardha town. Wardha district is located in the north-eastern edge of Maharashtra in Nagpur division and forms the eastern part of 'Vidharbha' region. The lies between 20°18’ North and 21° 21’ North latitudes and 78° 4’ East to 79° 15’ East longitudes.

Topography

The district is covered with the Satpura Mountain range in the North, whereas, the western side is occupied by the valley of the Purna River. The Arvi plains are a narrow, north to south elongated strip, about 70 km long and 6 to 8 km wide along the western boundary of the Arvi sub-division. The whole of the Hinganghat sub-division and the southern two thirds of the Wardha sub-division form a fertile reverie plain draining and sloping gently southwards towards the Wardha Rive.

Wardha district is bound by Nagpur district in the North East, Chandrapur district in the South East, Yavatmal district in the South West and Amaravati district in the North West. Situated on the west of the Nagpur plateau, Wardha River circles the district on its north, west and southwest boundaries. The physical settings of Wardha district shows a contrast of immense dimensions and reveals a variety of landscapes influenced by climate and vegetation.

  • Amravati to the North West.
  • Chandrapur distirct to the South West.
  • Yavatmal on the South West.
  • Nagpur on the North East.

Rivers and Dams

Entire region of the district is situated in Wardha-Wainganga valleys. The Wardha is the most important river in the district. The other important river in the district is the Venna, which flows from adjoining Nagpur district to the Hinganghat tehsil to merge with the Wardha River at village Sawangi. Yashoda, Venna and Bakli are the main tributaries of the Wardha River. Other rivers in the district are Pothra, Bor, Dhom and Kar, which remain generally dry during the summer but turn into furious torrents during the rainy season.

Lower Venna, Lower Wardha and Upper Wardha are the major dams in the district. Total area under irrigation is 1,01,512 hectares.

Tourist Places

Wardha is a district known for all main having historic places and temples with religious and archaeological significance. Historical evidence tells us that the Maurya, Shunga, Satvahan, Wakaram, Chalukya, Rashtrakut, Yadava and Gond dynasties ruled Wardha and its vicinity. The Nizam and Nagpurkar (Raghuji) Bhosale also ruled over this territory for a short time. Mahatma Gandhi’s Ashram at Sevagram and Acharya Vinoba Bhave’s Paramdham Ashram at Pavnar are located in Wardha.

Bapukuti, Sevagram

Sevagram is a small village near Wardha town (8 km). Mahatma Gandhi came to this village in 1936 and remained here till his death in 1947. He set up his ashram here. The small homes which were built in the ashram for Gandhiji, Kasturba and his followers were similar to the typical village houses. Sevagram railway station is 6 km from the main village. Sevagram is well connected by rail, bus and airport; the closest airport is situated around 55 km away.

Paramdham Ashram

The ashram was established by Acharya Vinoba Bhave in 1934 on bank of river Dham. During excavation for construction of ashram, many sculptures and idols were found which are kept at ashram and these are open to visitors. The sculptures of Ganga, Ram- Bharat Bhet and other numerous sculptures depicting the scenes of Ramayana and Mahabharatas can be seen at Ashram. Brahma Vidya Mandir in the Punar Ashram was established by Vinoba Bhave and now run by women from different states of India for common spiritual commitment.

Gandhi Gyan Mandir

It is a public library which houses several books dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi along with those written by him. Books related to various subjects such as social sciences, economics, politics, literature and others are also available in the library. 50-60 visitors visit daily and during Gandhi Jayanti the number of tourists increases to 3000.

Magan Museum

The Magan Sangrahalay is the only museum in India founded by Mahatma Gandhi in 1938, dedicated to the artisans of India.

Vishwa Shanti Stupa

It is one of the 8 Shanti Stupas built across India. It was the dream of Nichidatsu Fujii who was fondly called by Gandhiji as Fujii Guruji. It is believed that Fujii Guruji had arrived in Wardha from Japan in 1935 and had met Gandhiji with the purpose of building these Stupas in India. The stupa was built with help from Japan. The foundation stone was laid in 1989 and it was inaugurated in 1993. The Stupa serves as a place of worship for the Buddhist community. It is large and white in colour and has statues of Buddha mounted on the stupa facing all four directions. The stupa is said to illustrate the life history of Gautam Buddha. It is also a symbol of world peace. In the vicinity of the stupa, there is also a small Japanese Buddhist.

Geetai Temple

The temple is located in Gopuri city in Wardha taluka and is one of the most prominent attractions in the district. The temple is believed to be the place where Vinoba s Geetai became perpetual. It was here that Vinoba Bhave translated the Bhagwad Gita in the book Geetai. For this purpose number of polished stones are brought from different places and arranged vertically in shape of cow and 18 Adhyays (sections) of the Gita are engraved on it. This temple is unlike to the general temple. It has no ceiling, no walls. Beside the temple a permanent exhibition is arranged in Shanti Kuti in memory of Mahatma Gandhi and Jamnalal Bajaj. A fair is held on 14 April when around 8000 - 9000 visitors visit the temple.

Siddhivinayak Temple

The temple is located in Kelzer village in Selu taluka and also known as the Kelzer or Varad Vinayaka Temple, is dedicated to Lord Ganesh. It is believed that the idol of Lord Ganesh was discovered during the period of Aryans. A stepped well in the temple complex is believed to have been built by Bhima, one of the Pandavas. It was constructed during the reign of the Vakataka dynasty between 250 AD and 500 AD. This temple is one of the prominent “Ashtavinayakas” in Vidarbha. Mahalaxmi temple and Madhav temple are also present in temple complex. Devotees visiting temple are mainly from Nagpur, Wardha and other major cities in Maharashtra. Around 15000 - 20,000 devotees visit the temple during Ganesh Chaturthi.

Lakshmi Narayan Temple

The Lakshmi Narayana Temple was built in 1905. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi. One can find a well stocked library with a host of books in different Indian languages like Sanskrit, Prakrit and Hindi. It also has the Vedas and Upanishads. Around 150 devotees come to the temple daily and during the Ramnavmi festival in March around 2000 devotees visit the temple.

The Varad Vinayak Temple in Kelzar, Lakshminarayan Temple in Wardha city, the Jain Temple of Hinganghat and Malhari Martand Temple are some of the tourist spots in the district.

Lahanuji Maharaj Temple

One of the great saints in Vidharbha Shri Lahanuji Maharaj stayed here for 1885-1971. The temple is located in Takarkherda village in Arvi taluka. Many training camps are arranged in Sanskritik Bhavan situated in temple complex. The temple complex is well maintained with greenery and appropriate display of goods used by Saint Lahnuji maharaj. Every year various programmes are arranged in the temple amongst which Lahnuji maharaj jayanti is the main program. Everyday under Annadan yojna, lunch for around 400 people is served. The temple is visited by 300-400 visitors daily and during the fair organised in April and May and Lahanuji Maharaj's punyatithi around 50,000-60,000 people come to visit.

Bor Tiger Reserve

Bor Wildlife Sanctuary was declared a Tiger Reserve in July 2014. It is located near Hingni and is spread over an area of 138.12 sq kms which includes the drainage basin of the Bor Dam. It is home to a variety of wild animals. The faunal species in the sanctuary are Bengal Tiger, Leopard, Bison, blue bull, barking deer, chital, sambhar, mouse deer, wild boar, sloth bear, peacock and wild dog.This includes over 10 species of migratory birds and over 9 species of endangered birds.

The ecotourism zone of 5.21 sq.kms  is designated for public access for nature and wildlife tourism comprises 4.3% of the total sanctuary area.There are some religious places in the sanctuary. Wardha is the closest railway station whereas Hingani is the closest village by road at a distance of 5 km. April and May are the ideal months to visit this sanctuary.

The ancient name of Amravati is "Udumbravati", prakrut form of this is "Umbravati" and "Amravati" is known for many centuries with this name.

About Project

Get in touch

  • Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation Ltd
    Nepean Sea Road, Priyadarshini Park,
    Mumbai 400 036, Maharashtra, India.
  • 91 22 23685909,
    91 22 26517900,
    Fax: 91 22 26417893.
  • info@msrdc.org